Winnipeg Optimist Athletics has an annual membership of over 200 dedicated and goal- oriented athletes and coaches, as well as a hard working parent executive. WOA is proud of the support it provides to its athletes and the athletic community through coaching and services.
Coaches are encouraged and offered support to attend upgrade clinics such as the annual Athletics Canada Technical Congress.
Winnipeg Optimist Athletics offers the following:
- Certified NCCP club coaches with Provincial and National team experience, providing specialized coaching in all track and field disciplines, as well as a multiple events program. In past years, WOA coaches have also received Manitoba “Coach of the Year” nominations and awards.
- 100% coverage of all local meet entry fees, and up to 50% for national competitions (see page 18 for more details).
- Opportunities for athletes of all ages to develop their maximum level of excellence, while building character and fostering the ideals of good sportsmanship.
- Fundraising opportunities and an athlete account where funds can be accumulated (and often matched by the Club) to offset future expenses related to training, camps, and attending out-of-town competitions.
- Annual banquet recognizing athletes’ achievements, including awarding a post-secondary academic/ athletic scholarship and performance-based funding
- Leadership role at Legion Athletic Track Camp at International Peace Gardens
- Official meet organization for the Boeing Classic which traditionally serves as the Provincial Indoor Track and Field Championships.
The mission of Winnipeg Optimist Athletics, through its coaches, Parent Executive and partners, is to support athletics excellence and to provide opportunities for Manitobans to experience the challenges of athletic development.
Link to Winnipeg Optimist Athletics Club Handbook